Wednesday, August 17, 2011

have you had YOUR weetabix?

Dear friends, it's 0627hrs, and I'm up already which is quite remarkable for me as those of you who know me better, especially over the last 3 years, will agree.  I cannot explain it but I just wanted to get up.  It's a beautiful misty hazy morning, kettle's on, time for a cup of tea in my fave mug to try to shake the fugginess from my head.  The water fountain on my balcony babbles, it's a lovely sound, very peaceful, not much else to hear but a few birds.  A couple of cockerels in the farmyard across the street enthusiastically announce that it's indeed a fairly smart idea to be up and about.

Last night I laid in bed having serious doubts regarding my sanity after yesterday's reckless frenzy concerning the first posting of my thoughts, wondering if the world will think I'm crazy, yet dare I hope that this blog will be a positive step towards moving on, sharing uplifting and good things and becoming a more mature and wiser person...?  Well now, that remains to be seen.

As for my blog title - 'a far green country' - Gandalf's musings in 'Return of the King' always stay with me even from the first time I read Tolkien's masterpiece and when I saw the film.

"I didn't think it would end this way."
"End?  No, the journey doesn't end here.  Death is just another path, one that we all must take.  The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass.  And then you see it."
"What, Gandalf?  See what?"
"White shores....and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise".
"Well, that isn't so bad".
"No, no it isn't".

Return of the King
Tolkien

It is a beautiful illustration of hope against the odds, and of courage in the face of darkness; the persistant choice to hold onto hope in the face of adversity and to not quit.  I see it as a picture of heaven, and psalm 23's green pastures and quiet waters... but more about that another time. 

Sun is breaking through the clouds, and I still have to have some breakfast.  Have you had YOUR weetabix?  Well I can't face my day without it; ahh.. the classic quintessential *British Breakfast Cereal*, it doesn't get much better than that does it??  I was brought up on the stuff......pour the milk on and try to gobble it up speedily before all the milk is absorbed and it degenerates into a soggy slumpy mass of goo.  Ha ha!....ummm....yeah... good times.

Well now, I continue on my hunt for a piano today, hoping that soon I'll come across some funky priceless treasure ~ (maybe a clapped out old affair from a bar that would appreciate a bit of TLC and a good home???) ~ upon which I will be able to work out all the fine tunes that are persistant in relentlessly knocking around in my head.

I've already checked out the local 'left-overs' store, no nifty bargain to be bagged there, so now onto the next effort to find one.  I've taken up playing again over the last few months but it's getting increasingly frustrating not having a piano at home to play on. 

Last Saturday I went to Alkmaar and towards the end of the afternoon when I was wondering around in the drizzling rain, I discovered a seemingly deserted theatre and tried all the locked doors to the halls hoping to stumble upon a grand piano to play.  After all, that's generally where you will find grand pianos, in big grand halls. 

Sad, you're thinking, very sad, yes, I know; - but the drive is there to play again and to be able to play upon a grand piano gives me joy.  I miss that a lot from university.  There is something sacred about a lovely Steinway or Yamaha grand piano standing gloriously in a spacious quiet empty hall just waiting to be played.  And good acoustics, the notes soar.  But for now pianos seem to be behind locked doors for me.

Saw a video this week of some idiot who decided it would be cool - supposedly in the name of *art* - to burn a grand piano whilst playing on it.  !?Say what?!

After seeing that, felt quietly infuriated and moody for a bit. 

I have a distinct allergy to seeing pianos being dropped - squashed - burned - hammered - crushed etc etc; why do you see that so often?  Well how dare they?  So not cool.  It was very sad, a piano is like a beautiful piece of art.  But DON'T get me started on that, you'll soon tire of reading this blog...if you haven't already.

Well it's time for that weetabix.  Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope you have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. I like your blog's name and the inspiration of its source from Tolkein, with the thought that what seems like journey's end can be a new beginning - there is hope. I have to disagree with you about Weetabix - almost any other breakfast is more enjoyable than that soggy mush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Nancy, yes there is hope - and yes indeed, it's soggy mush... I prefer Raisin Wheats!

    ReplyDelete

one my 'far green country' drawings

one my 'far green country' drawings
one of my 'far green country' drawings